Monday, January 19, 2009

Thoughts Before the Inauguration

It totally doesn't matter who you voted for, and I'll share here that I DID vote for Obama in this election. I've NEVER been so conflicted on election day, and yes, I think I was voting for who I felt was the lesser of two evils...even though at the core, I'm pretty freakin' conservative. That said, on election night I remember thinking "oh...yeah, he IS a black man, and this IS a big deal" because prior to that, I didn't even realize that Obama was black. To me, he was a man, a politician, auditioning for the biggest job in our country. So I want to just say to my family and friends who pepper all ends of the political spectrum, that you can't help but be proud to finally live in these times. Today is MLK day...and tomorrow...we inaugurate our first black president. Isn't that just amazing? I didn't vote for him because he was black, but I am floored by the progress we are making in our society. As Americans we should all unite and be proud of the growth...be grateful for Martin Luther King Jr.'s contribution to tomorrow's historic events, and pray to whoever or whatever that Obama does his best to take our country in a better direction. Politicians are politicians so my expectations are colored by that understanding, but this defines my generation and I hope that the definition is a good one.

And about Bush...He is just a man, we are all capable of making mistakes. Much as I have disagreed and been disatisfied with the way he and his administration have governed my country (yes, people...MY country!) he has made many sacrifices to govern...and I know that beyond his presidency, he is defined by more than just his politics, and underneath it all...again...he is just a man, and I hope that our country can be grateful for the experience of the last 8 years, the good and bad, because we are who and what we are based on the sum of our experiences. In addition...the president doesn't call all the shots...those of you familiar with the structure of our government know that we have a nifty system of checks and balances...we elected that legislature (and the upcoming one as well) and the real power lies in that legislature. We as American people need to take ownership for our own mistakes as participants in this government.

Furthermore, we as Americans need to take ownership for our failing economy. A society based on credit, loaning, instant gratification is bound to collapse. As consumers "we" have done this to ourselves...the businesses just met the demand of the people. I firmly believe that the politicians played a VERY limited role in the collapse of our economy. If you can't afford it...DON'T BUY IT because you don't NEED it! Get over the entitlement complex America! Earn the things you want, earn your prosperity, get off the credit cards, and live within your means. If these things had been happening all along...our economy wouldn't be a mess.

and before someone says I'm not PC for saying "Black" instead of "African american..." Obama is NOT African American. My husband is Turkish American, my son is American, Obama is American...he did not grow up in Africa...and for that matter, neither did the blacks in the country for the most part. He is not African, he is American. so yes, i say Black. MLK said black too, so get over it. I'm not white...I'm AMERICAN.
---

ah..Parenthood. My little boy is MY LIFE. I want to do all the right things by him. I'm tired of advice. It causes me to put undo pressure on myself...and when I have to make a decision...it's too hard to figure out which opinion is mine! My baby is 2 months old, he's still alive...I'm doing good I think! LOL I hope Aiden grows up in a country more stable than it has been in the last decade or so. No more squeeky wheels please...if you're a minority, shut u

No comments: