Tuesday, July 1, 2008

There Should Be A Law

...Against leaving pregnant women home alone for extended periods of time.

So I started this blog for B and I to share our next big adventure: PARENTHOOD.

We found out in March that we are expecting our first child, we're just the type of lucky people who one day said "Ok, we're ready" and 3 weeks later I peed on a stick for a shocking positive. Good thing we really were ready huh?! Baby K (as of yet genderless, much to our dismay) should be here sometime around November 13th, more than likely a spicy little scorpio. Should be interesting in a house full of double water signs! So that leaves us about 4 months until the big show begins.

I have the kind of pregnancy that makes other women roll their eyes at me. It's been AWESOME! Aside from the sleepiness and the strongest food aversions on the planet through most of the first trimester, everything has been great. I feel good, I've lost a ton of weight (wierd, I know) and this baby has been textbook healthy from day one (so has mamma for that matter). I love being pregnant, 21 weeks in, it's still the neatest thing ever, more so now that baby is moving all the time!

Three weeks ago I had the first ultrasound at 18 weeks. Baby K wouldn't cooperate to let us know boy or girl, but is healthy and the perfect size. With B due to leave on June 25th for a 5 week trip to Turkey (he's doing his military training and has limited access to phone and internet...read as NONE) we decided to do a 3D ultrasound on June 24th to try and determine the sex. This appointment was 20 minutes long and it's sole purpose was to find some baby genitals, be they boy parts or girl parts. But Baby K elluded us again, despite lots of rolling and changing positions, we are not much closer to knowing if it will be a little Aidan or little Mackenzie joining us this fall. We are a hair closer to boy at this point, but it is by no means certain. We'll be doing one more ultrasound in about 2.5 weeks to try one last time. Otherwise, it must be a lesson from the universe that B and I need to just slow down and stop trying to micromanage things that we cannot control. I just wish I didn't have to call this baby "it," that's so impersonal.

In the mean time we wait, I get dirty looks from pregnant women, and I try to stay busy and healthy for another four months. I'm camping, roller blading, riding my bike when I feel like sacrificing my poor butt bones for a day or two of aching, walking all the time, and just enjoying the summer. They are brief here on the tundra, so I have to make the most of it. I'm not broken, just pregnant!

All kinds of strangeness will show up on the blog, I'm sure. I have bizarre dreams, and my patience is very limited, so you might catch some of that on here. As well as anectdotes about B and his newfound excitement for being a dad. Seeing the baby on the ultrasound made all this more real for us, especially B, and our perspective has changed dramatically. Some days we're wierded out, others we're really introspective, still others we are outwardly, insanely excited about our little gumdrop. It's going to be a great ride! Glad to have you along.

Make today a great day!
~*~ Megz ~*~

PS: here's a plug for an extended friend's sister. Her little girl is very sick and needs many many prayers from many many people. She teeters on the brink struggling with a congenital heart defect. You can find Elaina's Blog here - http://hollie-walkingthefineline.blogspot.com/

No comments: